Safely Handle Bituminous MaterialsThere are no scheduled Safely Handle Bituminous Materials courses. Please Contact Us if to find out about more upcoming courses.
Safely Handle Bituminous Materials
Aim of this Course / Target Group
This course provides participants with the safety skills and knowledge for ALL personnel involved in storing, handling, working near, or supervising the use of, hot bituminous materials and asphalt. The course is suitable for anyone working within the proximity of hot bitumen or asphalt; such as sealing and asphalt crews, tanker drivers and bitumen storage site operators, supervisors, managers, contractors on a site, or plant and non-field staff involved in directing others to use bitumen products.
This Australian Flexible Pavement Association (AfPA) endorsed course evidences that you have completed the industry required and approved bitumen handling training.
Please note: The course may be completed within a shorter or longer time frame depending on the experience of those in attendance
The course consists of the following:
- Preparation to work with bitumen including hazard identification
- Risk minimisation strategies for common hazards present on bituminous surfacing sites including burns, boil overs, explosions, fire, inhalation of fumes and reversing plant
- Guidance and selection on the correct use of fire extinguishers
- First aid for bitumen burns, including first aid and procedures
- Site clean-up, including environmental requirements
Theory based questionnaire, a log book is to be completed and practical on-the-job assessment
- Must have basic English literacy skills
- Be Bitumen Safe course through AfPA ($55.00 incl. GST). Further details can be found on the Australian Flexible Pavement Association (AfPA) webpage.
Designed by industry to meet the Austroads guidelines, this competency based course is required to protect the health and safety of workers, reduce the risk of injury and highlight your safety responsibilities.
Academic Award & Recognition
Upon successful completion participants will be issued with the following Statement of Attainment which will be recognised nationally
- RIICBS203E Safely Handle Bituminous Materials
What To Wear
All course participants are required to wear appropriate work attire.
Morning Tea & Lunch
Feel free to grab a tea, coffee or a snack before the course starts and during the course breaks. All participants will be offered morning/ afternoon tea and for those attending full day courses lunch is provided (an assortment of sandwiches and hot / cold finger foods). Persons with special dietary requirements should cater for their own personal needs.
$147.00 After CTF subsidy
This subsidy is available to eligible participants only. Bulk billing is available to participants who pay the balance prior to the course.
The Construction Training Fund provides funding support for training of eligible workers in the construction industry. We acknowledge the support of the Construction Training Fund in reducing the costs of training for eligible workers.